Centre for Integrative Ecology
Deakin University, Burwood campus
221 Burwood Hwy, VIC 3125
Sabiha is an environmental economist, with particular interests in marine and coastal environments. She obtained her PhD from Central Queensland University, Australia in 2021 and thereafter joined as a Research Officer. In her PhD, she investigated how the Queensland Government’s decision on commercial netting closure was affecting recreational fishing opportunities, nature-based tourism, and resulting economic growth in three regional areas of Queensland. Sabiha’s current research at Deakin involves assessing the socioeconomic values of the spider crab aggregation events in Port Phillip Bay.
Sabiha is originally from Bangladesh and works as a teaching staff at Sylhet Agricultural University, Bangladesh. She has eight years of teaching and research experience in Australia and Bangladesh, where she developed her research interests in non-market valuation, environmental, resource and fisheries economic issues, cost-benefit analysis, economic impact assessment and various econometric modelling techniques.
Fisheries economics, non-market valuation, marine and coastal environments, socio-economic values, cost-benefit analysis
• Marine, S. S., Flint, N., Rolfe, J. 2022. Do buyouts of commercial licences increase satisfaction of recreational fishers? A paired comparison of two Queensland zones. Fisheries Research. 254(106428): 1-14. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2022.106428
• Deb, A. R., Kunda, M., Marine, S. S., Islam, M. J. 2020. Study on production performance and economic benefits between mixed-sex and mono-sex tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture Research. 5 (1): 061-070.
• Islam, M. A., Islam, M. J., Barman, S. K., Morshed, F., Marine, S. S. 2016. Study on Present Status of Fish Biodiversity in Wetlands of Sylhet District, Bangladesh. Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 4(6): 296-299.
• Marine, S. S., Sayeed, M. A, Barman, P. P., Begum, R., Hossain, M.M. and Alam, M. T. 2015. Traditional methods of fish drying: An explorative study in Sylhet, Bangladesh. International Journal of Fishery Science and Aquaculture. 2 (1): 028-035.
• Rashid, A., Alam, M. T., Marine, S. S., Islam, M. A. and Sarkar, M. S. I. 2015. Community Dependence on Fish Farming: Study on its Role in Uplifting the Socio-Economic Condition of Fish Farmers in Sylhet District. Journal of the Sylhet Agricultural University. 2(1): 97-105.
• Hossain, M. A., Mian, S., Akter, M., Rabby, A. F., Marine, S. S., Rahman, M. A., Iqbal, M.M., Islam, M.J., Mohammed, M. and Hossain, M. M. 2015. Ovarian Biology of Spotted Snakehead (Channa punctatus) from Natural Wetlands of Sylhet, Bangladesh. Annals of Veterinary and Animal Science. 2(3): 64-76.
• Begum, R., Akter, T., Barman, P. P., Marine, S. S. and Hossain, M. M. 2014. Potential for Development of Marine Fish Marketing Systems in Chittagong District of Bangladesh. Journal of the Sylhet Agricultural University. 1 (2): 247-252.
• Barman, P. P., Begum, R., Marine, S. S., Barman, S. K. and Barman A. K. 2014. Fish Marketing Systems and Socio-Economic Status of Aratdar in Gaibandha District, Bangladesh. Journal of the Sylhet Agricultural University.1 (2): 239- 245.
• Marine, S. S., Hossain, M. A., Rashid, A., Islam, M. A., Bari, S. M. 2014. Marketing strategies for dry fish in Sylhet district of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Research Publications Journal. 10(2):162- 169.
• Marine, S. S., Dey, T., Rashid, A., Barman, P. P. and Islam, M. A. 2014. Fishing: A prominent means of livelihood of fishermen on Surma river basin at Sylhet district of Bangladesh. International Journal of Animal and Fisheries Science. 2(1):1-7.
• Kanan, A. H., Marine, S. S., Raihan, F., Redowan, M. and Miah, M. D. 2014. Textile effluents changes physiochemical parameters of water and soil: Threat for agriculture. International Journal of Soil Science and Agronomy. 2(10): 219-223.
• Alam, M. B., Islam, M. A., Marine, S. S., Rashid, A., Hossain, M. A. and Rashid H. 2014. Growth Performances of GIFT Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in Cage Culture at the Old Brahmaputra River Using Different Densities. Journal of the Sylhet Agricultural University. 1 (2): 265-271.
• Bari, S. M., Mamun, M. A. A., Khalil, S. M. I., Hossain, M. M., Marine, S. S. and Hossain, M. M. 2014. Seasonal Variation and Effects of Helminth Infestation on Clarius batrachus (Linneaus, 1957) From Haor Basin of Sylhet Region in Bangladesh. Journal of the Sylhet Agricultural University. 1 (2): 231-237.